Every Day Carry (EDC) is a movement that’s sprung out over the past few years. It fetishes the artefacts of everyday life and often features over-engineered products.
It covers a wide range of analogue real world items that people (usually men) bring with them when they leave the house (and it might include a bag). There is a whole other post on why its real world products, but thats for another time.
If the concept of every day carry was brought over to the smartphone what would it look like?
What would be the ten must have apps on your phone beyond the default installed apps?
Mine, in no particular order:
- Accuweather – pinpoint weather information that’s a step up from BBC weather or the default weather app on the iPhone
- Buffer – app for social media publishing
- CamScanner + – a document scanner for your iPhone
- Citymapper – better for getting around London than Google (or Apple) Maps
- Newsblur – a subscription based RSS reader by Samuel Clay. It learns what you like over time
- Pinner – a client for Pinboard.in social bookmarking service
- TravelWise Ireland – The Irish foreign ministry has an app providing background, safety information and emergency contact details for countries around the world