The New York Times ran an article in its fashion section about how Wonks (thats people like Rob Lowe and Co. in the West Wing for all our non US readers) meet prospective patners to strategise wtih and admire the diamond patterns on each others Pringle cardigans and aspire to be real Eurotrash. Why these people should be allowed to breed is beyond me, but they are now taking advantage of the ubiquitous nature of RIM Blackberries (email pagers) in Washington to flirt and organise dates. Some funny bits in the article about ill-thought out drunken emails sent via the Blackberry. Makes the sex-starved staffers of Bush’s neo-puritan regime sound more like Jimmy Swaggart than Billy Graham.
Reminds me of when I worked on the Palm PR account, one of the gimmicks we had was a spoof ‘Gaydar’ application for Valentines day.
Why doesn’t invent some useful dating technology instead to get you over when the conversation becomes awkward, stilted or a bigger effort than bench pressing a truck axle?
From the useless research department. A US Today story came to the shocking conclusion that web porn attracts far more surfers than search. The research was conducted by Californian company Hitwise (or more likely their uncreative PR minions).
After the hastily denied speculation in the city that Hutchison was going to pull out of the UK mobile market by closing down 3 Totaltelecom magazine has published research figures from Capgemini in its leader article this month that indicate almost three quarters of 3 customers will leave when their contract is up. The full article can be read here (subscription is required).
I am not surprised. While 3 has addressed the issue of appalling handsets with new models from Nokia and LG, it still lacks:
– a killer application, a reason to chose 3 over its competitors
– an open IP gateway to allow people to pick up email and surf the web
– a WAP gateway to allow people to get information on the go
– decent network performance (though this is improving)
– the ability to transfer calls from cell to cell (the calls often cut out when you are speeding along in a car or train)
– compelling content, using a free trial I found no decent ringtones and a poor selection of wallpapers for the phone
– Decent customer service. When I emailed 3 to highlight my concerns abou the service I received a reply to say that I could not compare the service to 2G rivals as this was new technology. Bottom line is I want a mobile phone that works, how they do it is their problem
I have posted on AlwaysOn about this subject (registration required to view)
Ex porn-star and Czech MEP candiate Dolly Buster posted this campaign video on her site. It will be interesting to know if she is successful.
Interesting article on The Register. Apparently some Clash lyrics sent to a tribute band singer who had forgot his lines triggered the state security apparatus into action. Experts claim that it is proof that GCHQ monitor all SMS and voice traffic in the UK (and perhaps further afield as well).
A case of “I fought the law and the law won”?