Claudie and Tamara from Edge Thinking hosted a workshop on networking at The Hospital. Their top tips for networking were:
- Be authentic
- Be curious and a good listener
- Be passionate about what you do and being able to express that passion clearly (What are you passionate about? Where does this passion come from?)
- Spot opportunities to help and be helped (don’t be afraid to ask someone if they can introduce you to someone who can help)
- Connect people (connect people that you know, whom you think may make a great match)
- Pre-event visualisation of what you wanted to achieve, kind of like what professional skiers do before going down a slalom run
- Be aware that networking can have a long payback time or by a circuitous route (karma doesn’t move in a straight line)
- Be sure to follow-up, even if you have left it too late, apologise and follow-up anyway
Useful questions to have:
What are you most proud of?
Who would be useful for you to meet/ connect with?