Reading Time: 2 minutes
I was invited down to the Chartered Institute of Marketing in Cookham to present at their annual tutors conference. I included a discussion on the current challenges that PR agencies face in the digital space and some case studies my current role at Ruder Finn and past work with my former employer. You can find the presentation on Slideshare to view or download if you wish.
Observations and notes from the event:
Tom Brown of CIM and Simon Longhurst of Accenture presented some interesting research on ‘In search of a strategic role for marketing’:
Here is my notepad of the presentation (click to see a larger and slightly more legible version).
Tom Brown – suggestions for improving the standing and role of marketing at board level of large corporates:
- Tackling the role and understanding of marketing
- Seek out knowledge and best practice both inside and outside the organisation
- Innovate the marketing model to free up ‘space’ for strategy through rightshoring and shared services
Simon Longhurst’s perspective:
- Marketing is about loyalty
- Branded customer experience derives loyalty
- Branded customer experience requires the allignment of both promise and execution
- Need to be pragmatic and collaborative with other business functions
- The marketing role needs to be: anointed, clarified and elevated
In order to help move marketing up in boards priorities the Chartered Institute of Marketing has set up Marketing Transformation Leadership Forum Think Tank. They will have a website full of interesting content in the next month or so.