Jared Spool does user interaction design and usability or as he calls it software human factors and gave a talk on what makes a design intuitive.
- Don’t be too clever or too stupid in a design
- Follow common norms (an asterisk by a field on a web form usually means mandatory completion) otherwise it becomes unintuitive
- Don’t ask superfluous information from a user
- Don’t let the design or controls detract from the content
- Does the language and the options you offer make sense to the audience?
- Trim out features to improve the experience
- Understand what the audience’s current knowledge is and play to that in the design
- Help people learn as they go