Author Jeff Jarvis on sharing versus privacy.
Jarvis talks about the importance of ‘publicness’ to try and balance the privacy debate. Jarvis doesn’t see publicness as the enemy of privacy.
- Privacy concerns usually happens with the changes of norms comes along with technological change
- Privacy is about feelings in US law, it is different to issues around identity theft and fraud
- Privacy still has ethics: information theft, improper use
- Publicness is about the ethic of sharing, where it could be useful with a wider audience
- Not all information should be public
- Selling the benefits of publicness to produce a better digital civic society, so that it doesn’t get lost in the fear and worst case that happens as part of the privacy debate
- Life is increasingly starting to mirror the architecture of the ‘net – self-organising, ad-hoc structures
The video is on the YouTube service so may not be visible to all readers.